Whitewater Rafting – Gauley River
Experience the thrills of extreme whitewater with certified guides who draw spiritual applications from the adventure!
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Ultimate
Group Size Medium Group
One of the top ten best whitewater rivers in the world is right here in West Virginia! Boasting over 100 rapids, including ten that are class V or V+ rapids, it’s no wonder the Gauley River is called “The Beast of the East.” On select dates every fall, the Summersville Dam releases guaranteed ideal water flows, thus providing “Gauley Season.” View 2020 schedule here.
With over 35 years of whitewater rafting experience, Alpine remains the only licensed Christian rafting company on the beautiful Gauley River. Your guide will endeavor to provide a safe, fun, impacting adventure. Like every outdoor activity at Alpine, rafting the Gauley includes a devotional time when your guide will apply the truth of God’s word.
Previous rafting experience is recommended for the Upper Gauley. For less extreme whitewater, check out the New River.
- Upper Gauley: 16 years old
- Lower Gauley: 14 years old
September – October (select weekends)
- Your paddle, PFD (life jacket), and helmet
- A delicious lunch served picnic-style beside the river
- All transportation between Alpine and the river
Male – modest trunk-style swim suit or board shorts.
Female – modest swim suit and shorts. The midriff should be covered and no low-cut tops, please.
Water sandals or shoes for water recreation.
Sunscreen is highly recommended.
Inexpensive sunglasses with strap. Safety strap for eyeglasses.
Flip-flops/shoes without backs are not acceptable as well as long pants, skirts, or culottes as they may be a safety hazard.
Layer with quick-drying clothes like fleece and polyester. Avoid wearing cotton (e.g. T-shirts or regular socks).
Wetsuits and paddling splash jackets are available for rent). Modest shorts must be worn over wetsuit.
- All participants should bring any necessary medications with them (e.g., inhalers, required prescriptions, allergy medications, or epi-pen).
- Participants may also want to have insect repellent on trips.
- Guests who wear contact lenses may want to consider wearing glasses on trips or carry a travel size solution kit for activities.